The Portola High School Health office has a registered nurse onsite most days. If a student is going to be absent from school due to an illness or injury, a note is required from a doctor for it to be excused. Additionally, if a student is going to need crutches, a wheelchair or any other assisted device to get around campus, an additional note must be provided by their doctor or care provider.
Parents/guardians should include the school nurse in an e-mail sent to the teachers, counselors or assistant principals regarding your learner's health-related information.
Jim Matejcek, BSN, RN School Nurse
SHOULD YOUR CHILD STAY HOME?
- Temperature 100 degrees and above
- Students have to be fever free without the use of pain relievers (ex. Tylenol or ibuprofen) for at least 24 hours
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea. The student may return to school 24 hours after the last episode
- Uncontrollable, infectious cough
- Suspected communicable disease(ex. Cellulitis, Zika)
- Suspected infection of the eyes (i.e. conjunctivitis), nose, throat (i.e. strep throat), skin (i.e. scabies), or scalp (i.e. lice)
- A rash of unknown origin – student may return to school when written authorization is received from the healthcare provider
Students MUST stay home for 24 hours on antibiotic medicine